My daughter is home from college and has been asking for muffins. Since I have some pears and quick oats about, I decides to make one of my favorite pear muffin recipes from Food.com, for Pear Oatmeal muffins.
I cored and peeled the pears and started to gather my ingredients. Gathered and mixed the dry ingredients in the big bowl and suddenly realized, whoops–no buttermilk or maple syrup in the house!
One of the greatest cooking lessons I learned from my mom was the art of substitution. Don’t have that, try this! Its lead me down some interesting culinary paths and frequently, something will take an even tastier turn than the original! So without further adieu, I give you the revised and yummy Pear Oatmeal muffins with Greek yogurt and agave syrup! (And lacking pecans, I used walnuts instead for the topping). I honestly think these taste much richer and better than the original recipe.
Pear Oatmeal muffins
1 3/4 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 TBS pecans chopped (or walnuts..)
1 1/2 cups of quick cooking oatmeal
1 pear, cored, peeled and chopped
1 cup of Greek yogurt (fat free)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup agave syrup
2 TB of vegetable oil
1 egg or 2 egg whites
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line muffin tins with paper liners
1. Combine dry ingredients flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl combine nuts and 2 TB of the oats
3. In a third large bowl combine oats and remaining ingredients. Set aside for 5 minutes
4. Stir the oatmeal mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Do not over mix.
5. Spoon the batter into the preparted cups, filling about 2/3rd of the way. Top each muffin with the nuts/oats topping. Bake for 15-20 minutes until toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.
6. Remove from the muffin tins and cool on a rack.